Sunday, March 1, 2009

A tribute...

Morgan and I taught Sunday school this morning then took the opportunity for a mother/daughter lunch, at the request of my beautiful daughter. We went to a little mom/pop restaurant in town and enjoyed some really great conversation. Not about anything "big" just everyday stuff. One of the things that came up was a friend of hers whose family is planning on moving out of the state without regard to her desires to finish the rest of this year and her senior year in her present school. That led to a discussion of how too many parents live their lives without thought of how it may affect the rest of their family. And, how fortunate we are to have a close knit family.

On my way to work the other day my Grandma came to mind and what an inspiration she has been to me. I was fortunate enough to grow up on the same property as my Grandparents and benefit from their everday presence in my life. While I learned the usual things...how to weed, can vegetables, use elbow grease...she quietly taught me sooo much more. I like to call it quiet strength. She never openly complained. I have vivid memories of her trudging to the barn to feed animals in her house coat before getting ready for work. And she always looked perfect when she went out of the house. Elegant...always elegant, even going to the grocery store. Every saturday the house got cleaned, top to bottom. When her own Mother passed away I was 8 years old. Grandma Eva (an amazing woman in her own right) had lived in the house behind my Gram where we had lived for several years and I was sooo heart broken when she died. As I walked to the casket to say good-bye I began sobbing uncontrolably...my Grandma wrapped her arms around me and consolled ME...it was her Mom and she still had so much strength to calm me and surround me with her patient, loving, quiet strength.


Gram passed her many wisdoms to my own Mother who also taught me many selfless lessons. Mom possesses a strength I'm not sure she realizes. I'm proud to come from a long line of strong and loving women. My daughter is already showing her own strengths and compassion toward people. Grandma turned 79 this year. She is still working 2 jobs, playing cards with her siblings and singing in the church choir.

4 comments:

Darlene said...

Hey ... that's not fair!!! YOU MADE ME CRY!! But in a good way ... I'm so proud of you & your family ... a mother couldn't ask for a better daughter than I have in you. I think MY mom feels that way and I know you feel that way towards Morgan too!
You are right ... we should be proud of who we are and what we are all about ... stand proud my dear ... I am standing right beside you!!!

Ginny said...

what a gorgeous story..with 5 kids I don't get much one on one time with them and when I had some time with my son recently just the two of us it made me realise that even teenagers want their mummy..lol :0)

Amy Johnson said...

What a beautiful tribute to your grandmother. Your daughter is right, many families do move or make decisions without considering the rest of the family. My husband's parents and grandparents all moved South for warmer weather and lower taxes, and we never see them. The last time my kids saw their grandparents was over 2 years ago. Its sad that they have never experienced a real relationship with their grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. I can't believe your grandma is working two jobs at age 79! What a woman!

Novalis said...

What the hell is elbow grease ?
well I guess I didn't spend enough time with you guys to get the whole wisdom... =)
Ask your daughter about the letter - I am still waiting...
Tell your son I would love to hear more stories about the deer.
Well, last but not least tell your husband - well, tell him - something - ahhem something like - ahhh there is no point of telling him anything... =)

Frank: "This is my rifle - this is my gun !"

I might be in crazy land right now but I will never forget the things you taught me just by having me around.

Thank you !

Love,
Martin