Saturday, April 28, 2012

Heath cake...

Hard to believe this is my first post of 2012. I'd like to say I will post more regularly now. I'd like to but who knows what my day to day life will allow. I decided to post today about a cake I just made and it was so easy and delicious I wanted to share it. While wondering around Pinterest, which I love to do, I found the yummy goodness and made it for friends who were coming over. The original recipe can be found here at Bird On A Cake. The first time I make a recipe I follow it to the T, then modify to suit my families tastes and my style. While the sauce was delicious I don't think it was necessary, but would make the PERFECT ice cream topping.

Once you bake your favorite chocolate cake in two 8" round pans, allow it cool completely.  Cut each cake in half so you end up with four layers.

The icing couldn't be simpler. Pour 1 quart of whipping cream, 1/3 cup cocoa powder and 3/4 cup granulated sugar into a bowl. Whip it until stiff peaks form. Lay one cake layer on serving plate, spread with cocoa whipped cream and sprinkle with crushed Heath bar on top. Repeat with remaining 3 layers. OK...so I lied (a little)...I didn't follow the recipe to a T. Robin folded the Heath bar into the whipped cream but I liked the control of being able to sprinkle the perfect amount on top. Also I did NOT ice the sides. I thought it was so pretty to see the seperate layers.

You could keep several round cakes baked and in the freezer and when you need a fast dessert you're half way there. I also thought about yellow cake with butterfinger. Maybe use Reese's cups instead of Heath bar.

4 comments:

Amy Johnson said...

It looks delicous!

Darlene said...

Mmmmmmmm yummo! This looks totally scrumptious!!! And the yellow butterfinger cake sounds fabulous too! Nice to have you back in blogland! Have a wonderful Sunday! LOVE YOU ... Madra

Teresa said...

this sounds delicious! I didn't know I was coming over!

Carolyn said...

Tell me when y'all are coming and I'll whip one up...