Saturday, July 2, 2011

New floors (Part 2)...

It is finally finished! The flooring "project" throughout the living room and dining room. And what a project it was! I'm sure it has something to do with me. You see, I'm like a dog with a bone...can't stop until it's finished. Everything else goes on hold when I'm in the middle of a project.

Because of our schedules on the weekend, my son and I tore out the old nasty dirty carpet on Thursday. The new beautiful clean carpet was being installed the following Monday. Let me tell ya...walking on this icky bare floor for 3 days nearly drove me bonkers. I wore shoes ALOT (a big no no in my house). When we pulled the carpet off of the stairs you could see three distinct colors. In the crease was the original color of the carpet. On the rise of the stairs was what it had faded to over the years. And on the tread was the gross part from two decades of people and pets walking on it.

We had considered leaving the stairs exposed. I think they are beautiful! But to appreciate them I would've had to strip the paint on the sides and refinish the treads, something I am just not up to right now. They are still waiting under the soft carpet for their day to shine...and I'm sure someday they will.


I have to say it was cool to see the outline where, at one time, there had been an area rug. They had painted the perimeter black. I could picture the rocking chairs and couch pulled up to the rug around the fireplace with the radio crackling in tempo with the fire. My house is over 90 years old...it's seen alot of changed in its lifetime.
We had to have the living room completely empty by the time Dowd Floors came to install on Monday morning. We had dispersed all the small stuff throughout my office and the kids rooms. The big stuff HAD to fit in the dining room. Well...it fit...kinda!

It is amazing the difference with the new carpet. My living room looks HUGE! The measurement of my room is reminiscent of a bowling alley, 12' x 23', with two focal points (TV & fireplace). We are a very active family with many hobbies. i.e. hunting/shooting, racing, crafting, music to name a few. This can present a challenge when trying to fit everything into an 1200 sq ft house. But I'm getting there. Since the new carpet has been installed I've been organizing everything...even the shotgun shells!

I have plans to paint the living room a sand color and re-paint the trim white...the chips need to go bye-bye. But for now I'm going to bask in the clean comfort of my "new" living room and dining room. You are welcome to stop by to see it in person...just remember to take your shoes off.

5 comments:

Gone Country said...

The carpet looks great! I know you're so happy to have it done! Living in disarray gets to me after awhile as I'm sure it did you too!

Lana said...

Congrats on your lovely flooring Carolyn !! It looks awesome! I am sure your not getting any work done your probably just sitting and admiring it, as you should!!
Hugs

Darlene said...

LOOKS FABULOUS! I was so glad we made a trip down to visit and see it in person! You're right ... it certainly makes the room look even bigger! And for a few moments ... you can even take a 'sigh of relief' that it's done! Of course, that's only until your NEXT project takes place! LOL! So glad you have something new to make you feel good! It looks AWESOME!!!

Amy Johnson said...

Congratulations! It's done and it looks great!

Unknown said...

Oh, I've been there done that soooo many times over the years! Lots of work :O)