Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A day in my life...

 The day started as most days do...put the coffee on, started hubby's car and fixed his lunch. Thought I would get a jump on my cleaning and take the S.O.S. pad into the shower with me to scrub the shower while I scrubbed my body. Strange...I know but I take multi-tasking VERY seriously!

As many of you know I own my own bookkeeping business and since yesterday was the last day of tax season (phew...thank goodness), I thought today would be a bit more relaxed. What was I thinking?!

I was at my computer browsing through blogs, enjoying my last cup of coffee, when I heard this horrible thudding sound coming from my fireplace chimney. My poor dog, who was also enjoying the laid back morning, jumped up and headed for the bedroom with her tail between her legs. I looked through the glass doors and didn't see anything, then the thudding started again. So as I'm staring into the fireplace and down plops a DUCK!

Great...now what am I gonna do? Hubby is working a 12 hour shift and had band practice so he won't be home until late. Waiting for my 13 year old to help didn't seem like a good option. All I could envision was this soot covered duck flying around my house knocking things over. But I can't leave this poor creature in there all day looking so wide eyed and scared. Thankfully my neighbor came over to help. As I slowly opened the glass doors he leaned in and gently put a blanket over her and pulled her out.

I wanted to get a picture of her (of course). As I began to pull the blanket off of her head my neighbor suggested we might want to try this outside. That turned out to be EXCELLENT advice! Outside I pulled the blanket back revealing her bright eyes and smooth little head and as I was getting my camera ready, she wiggled free and flew like the wind. Sadly the only picture I got is of very poor quality but enough to offer proof that his story is indeed true!

Today is a day we have been anticipating....it's Chick Day!!! We added 10 babies to our flock today, including Araucanas, Black Giants and Light Brahmas. They are soooo cute! I love the little lady staring directly into the camera. This will bring the total to 17 chickens and 3 ducks (and before you ask...no none of these one's have been in the fireplace).

After a busy day of shower scrubbing, grocery getting, duck releasing and chick retrieval I decided to make lasagna for dinner. Easy to put together, easy for family members to heat up when they get home (at all different times tonight) and a yummy lunch for tomorrow.

Sadly this is not an abnormal day for me. OK...maybe the duck is a little abnormal. My 'to do' list is way to long and never gets done...but I'm NEVER bored!!! Every day is a gift and I can't wait to see what I unwrap tomorrow, but for now I'm going to go check on the chicks, put my jammies on and watch The Biggest Loser! Good Evening to you all....I promise I'm going to post more often....I PROMISE!

I am linking this up over at Homestead Revival's Barn Hop...take some time and check out some of the blogs, they are awesome!!!

6 comments:

Darlene said...

OH MY GOSH ... now that's a story not too many people can tell!
Your photo almost looks like a drawing ..
How cute are the chickees ... and dinner looks yummy! That reminds me I haven't eaten yet ... better go find something ... popcorn perhaps! (sounds like a good dinner to me, LOL)
Thanks for sharing you day ... hope tomorrows MUCH BETTER!!

Lana said...

Sounds like you had a "ducky" day couldn't resist that one LOL LOL What a day you had ! I hope you enjoyed your jammies and the yummy dinner!! Love your blog hope you do write more often!! HINT HINT!!LOL
Hugs

Karen's Mind Thoughts said...

When your Mom told us this story we could hardly believe it! Your pictures say it all. This is a story to remember!

SheShe said...

Thank goodness life is never routine, right? :)

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Those chickens are so cute! I really like your blog and am so glad that I found it. I have been enjoying reading over your posts and look forward to reading more!!

Kymberly Foster Seabolt said...

Precious! And the moment when the duck plopped in would have featured my writing "and then I peed myself" so kudos to you!