Sunday, January 23, 2011

Bluegrass...

Saturday we went to our first Bluegrass Festival. I grew up on Country Western music...which is a long way from today's country music (of which I listen to regularly). My family used to watch Hee-Haw all the time...I was fortunate enough to find it on tv the other day. What a fun time! People enjoying being with people making music either by playing beautiful instruments, picking up a set of spoons or joinin their voices together.

I didn't know what to expect when my friends asked us along. Jon and I went with an open mind looking forward to enjoying a new experience. It was held at a local hotel. From what they said during the summer they hold them outside at campgrounds and such. In the main banquet room bluegrass acts would perform and change every half hour or so. Everything was free but they did take donations. There were instruments and goodies for sale to. But that wasn't the best part!

I come from a musical family. My Grandmother and Mom both have beautiful singing voices, my Uncle plays piano, daughter plays clarinet, son plays trumper and french horn, and hubby plays an amazing guitar. Plus we have many friends who are musically talented. There have been many nights sitting around a bonfire or just the kitchen table that the guitars come out and a "jam session" insues. This is a time when everyone joins in tapping their foot, playing or singing along...sooo much fun.

The best part of the Bluegrass Festival are the jam sessions aka picking rooms. As you walk up and down the hallways of the hotel many rooms will be open with music flowing. You are welcome to hang in the doorway, sit on the bed or if you have an instrument in hand you can join right in. These pictures were of some very very talented musicians just a pickin' and a grinin'. My son and I were sitting on the floor inside the room because there were so many people. At one point the banjo player asked the guitarist if he wanted to play it slow or fast, to which he replied "well, how fast can you play it"...it was game on! The banjoist tightened his finger picks and they were off. WOW! They were so good...what a great time.

Even if you are not into bluegrass I think you would enjoy checking a festival out. They are usually free. A few clicks of the mouse would tell you if any are playing in your area. For me it took me back to a simpler, happier time.

**sorry for the picture quality...I forgot my camera and only had the camera on my phone**

2 comments:

Darlene said...

WOW how much fun is this! Good for you! I'm so glad you were able to go and enjoy 'a simpler time'! The pics are fine ... even if they were from your phone! I get the 'picture' and could hear the banjo picker speedin' up!! LOL!! Fantastic and thanks for sharing it with us! LOVE YA!

Amy Johnson said...

Although Blue Grass is definately not my style of music, I have always admired their immense talent for harmony and their instruments.