Friday, July 30, 2010

Blueberries...yummm...

One of my greatest joys is being in the kitchen.  I love cooking, baking, canning...creating.  I'm definitely more creative in the kitchen than in my craft room.  After I sorted through all of my old magazines I pulled out several recipes I wanted to try.  My family LOVES blueberries.  When my daughter was itty bitty she used to stand at the refrigerating repeating 'buberries, buberries'...they were a must on camping trips.  I have always enjoyed them in muffins and bagels but lately have been enjoying them fresh.

Blend up some fresh or frozen stawberries with some lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar.  Add some fresh blueberries (do no blend them).  Now you have a wonderful versatile snack.  Spoon it over some yogurt and top with granola...easy tasty parfait.  Or, if your like me, and you don't like yogurt...eat the fruity goodness with extra granola...what a refreshing healthy snack.

I usually freeze blueberries for muffin and such in the winter, but one of the recipes I had to try was for ice cream.  That's right...homemade blueberry ice cream!!!  I took the opportunity to take some pics along the way so I could share the recipe with you.  The recipe is from Alma Mosher and was published in the May/June 2004 edition of Country Woman.

There are only 4 simple ingredients:
4 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries
2 cups of sugar
2 tablespoons of water
4 cups of half-and-half cream

Combine the blueberries, sugar and water in a large saucepan.  You will be tempted to add more water...don't.  Just start at a medium heat and stir them around every few minutes.  The directions say to bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer (uncovered) until sugar is dissolved and berries are soft.  As I stirred them I would mush the berries a little.  The whole process probably took about 20 minutes.  But, as usual, I was doing this while I was doing 3 other things so I'm no real sure.

Next I strained the mixture and discarded the seeds and skins.  I did this using a mesh strainer and the back of my spatula.  You could use cheesecloth or a food mill too.  I might leave the berries in it next time (will just have to make sure all the stems are off first)...I think the family would like that too.

Last step for today is stir in the half-and-half.  Cover it and refrigerate it over night.

Good morning...time to make the ice cream!  You will need an ice cream maker of some sort.  New fangled electric or old fashion crank...whatever you have available.  Fill your ice cream make 2/3 of the way full and process according to mfg. directions.  I have a krups maker and you simply turn it on, pour mixture in and let it run for about 20-30 minutes.

You can either enjoy your ice cream soft from the maker or let it harden up in the freezer for a bit.  Either way...it's a little taste of Heaven.  While homemade ice cream may not be "cost effective" it is certainly worth the minimal time invested.  We are already brainstorming about what flavors we can come up with...I think banana is next!

4 comments:

Vee said...

Ohhh, we're thinking alike today. Well, my brain hadn't gone quite as far as blueberry ice cream...hmmm...but I was thinking blueberry!

Darlene said...

WOW ... I didn't know you knew how to make ice cream!! Awesome!

Amy Johnson said...

I wish I could say I love being in the kitchen! It takes a special woman to say that! Your blueberry ice cream looks yummy!

Happy@Home said...

Thanks so much for your recent visit and sweet comments. Now I have the pleasure of discovering your lovely blog. I am sitting here eating blueberries and enjoying your new ideas for eating this delicious berry. I love the sounds of blueberry ice cream. Mmm.