Sunday, January 17, 2010

My partner...

I met Frank when I was 17 years old. I had just graduated high school and was out with a friend. When he walked in the door I noticed him immediately! He had just returned home from serving 4 years in the United States Marine Corp. He also noticed me that night and asked me to dance...woohoo! We have been together ever since. I believe we are meant to be together...honestly.


After a 4 year courtship (do they still use that term?)we were married and we celebrated 18 years of marriage this past October . We have had some rocky times in our life together. I don't suppose that could have anything to do with both of us being stubborn, hot-headed and the need for control?! We found out early on we couldn't wrestle. You know how some couples wrestle around playing? Oh no, not Frank and I...someone was going to get hurt! It would start out innocent enough then one would hurt the other accidentally then the other would hurt them back and so on and so forth.


There was actually a time when we almost split up. Our daughter was very young and we were struggling with being a young couple who had both been working and no children, come and go as you please, to only one income and an extra mouth to feed. Thankfully my amazing step-dad wouldn't allow me to "come home"...he said we needed to stay and work it out, not just run away. He was sooo right! We did "work it out"...which by the way means lots of yelling and crying.


We have grown up alot since that time, and continue to grow. One thing is certain....we are meant to be together!


Like most people do we get caught up in everyday life...taking the kids to their events, working, chores, etc...and we forget to tend to the romance part of our marriage. Recently some very dear friends of ours found themselves "fighting" for their marriage. This has made of reflect on our own relationship and decided it was time for some "us" time. We are very active as a family. Always doing something together. But we wanted time for just the two of us. So we planned dinner and a movie.


We actually went to a "real" restaurant...no wings, no Micky D's. And planned to watch a "real" movie (rated R) no animation, no computer graphics. Although I must admit while we are standing in line to get our tickets to 'It's Complicated', Frank noticed the 'Chipmunks Squeakwal' was playing...I told him NO (but assured him we would bring the kids another day to see it :)). The movie was very nice...funny...perfect! Dinner was excellent...we were supposed to have a 50 minute wait but managed to swoop in on a couple leaving the bar area where it was first come first serve about 15 minutes into our wait. The entire evening was absolutely PERFECT! We walked into the movie just as the previews were playing and we were home by 10pm. I can't wait for our next date!!!


So why did I feel compelled to post about my hubby? I guess because we live in a time where we are the minority...married this long to our first spouse, children living with BOTH natural parents, and still very much in love. For young couples I wanted to say...it's not always going to be fireworks and shooting stars...and that's a good thing. For older couples going through the motions of a life together...take time to reconnect...remind yourself why you fell in love in the first place. Take time to hold hands, hug and snuggle...feel the connection! Don't let the toilet seat or toothpaste cap ruin your relationship. Ask yourself how you would feel if your partner was gone tomorrow...it could happen. So love those in your life like this was their/your last day on earth!

1 comment:

Darlene said...

When/how did you become such an eloquent writer! Very well written/said!!
I must say it "broke my heart" when your step-dad said NO to you "coming home" and advised you to stay and work it out! But I'm so glad he had the strength to extend tough love ... he's a pretty smart guy! As we have all learned over the years!!
That photo of you & Frank is awesome! It certainly tells a story in itself!! And of course I love this footprint photo ... I think it should have a verse printed next to it though!! Bless you my "kids" ... you are SPECIAL!!!