Saturday, October 24, 2009

Organized home...

I am a Virgo! Everything I have ever read says that Virgo's like things neat, orderly and in their place. How true, how true. When my area, desk and/or home are clean with everything in it's place I feel at peace. I have many non-Virgo friends who feel the same way.

I read an article on Yahoo the other day talking about 'energy zappers'. A cluttered home/office/space was on the list. Your brain doesn't get a chance to relax...it bounces from one object or pile of papers to the next. Yep, makes sense to me.

Do you ever drive past those homes where everything is neat and tidy. Not one of those big fancy houses with the professional landscape. That house where the grass is neatly cut, the flower beds are weed free, firewood cut and stacked with tarps neatly covering each stack. You can tell the people inside love their home. Yep...that's the kind of house/home I want. In my ideal world our house would be like the Cleaver's or the Cunningham's. Dusting is all done, counters are cleared, when you hang up your clothes they stay wrinkle free...I could go on but I think you get the idea.

I remember one day in particular when DH and I were first living together in a one-bedroom apartment. We have always had too much "stuff". Our multiple personalities are only rivaled by our multiple hobbies. He had been gone for the day and I was in cleaning mode. There wasn't a drawer or cupboard that I did not clean-out and organize. The laundry was done, the frig was cleaned out and dinner was cooking in the oven...even the candles were all lit. I couldn't wait for him to get home. That was the last time I feel that the house was really clean...all at the same time!

This morning as I was reading blogs (instead of cleaning...hhmmm maybe that's the problem) I happened on the LazyOrganizer. At first I felt bad for her kids but the more I read she makes a lot of sense. While I may not implement such a rigid schedule, I definitely will not feel as guilty when I have the kids clean their rooms before they go anywhere. Well today is a good day to start...off I go...time to wake up kids!!!

1 comment:

Darlene said...

So this is what you do when you finally get a Saturday off!!!!
I saw that it was nearly 5:30 a.m. when you wrote this ... gosh I sure hope you didn't immediate go wake up the kids ... I can only imagine how GRUMPY they would be.

I hope you got as much accomplished as you had hoped! I know how much better you feel when you do!

Not to worry ... you balance things just fine ... now you just have to be sure to remember your priorities (as you usually do) ... family comes first ... the cleaning will ALWAYS be there ... they will not!

LOVE YOU ... Mom