Sunday, April 5, 2009

Tiny visitors...

Friday morning I trudged to the barn, umbrella in hand because it was raining buckets...yuck! I took the lid off of the feed tub and when I laid it to the side I heard a faint little "mew". I stopped and listened harder and looked around....nothing. As I went back to feeding I heard several little "mews". Thankfully I had my cell with me...normally I don't during the morning feed. I phoned Jon and asked him to grab a flashlight and come to the barn, quickly. By the time I was done feeding, Jon was there. We did some investigating (aka following the mews) and found this bundle of baby kittens. We estimated their age at about 4 days. By Saturday morning we were worried they had been abandoned because we hadn't seen the Mama Cat anywhere. Fortunately, after laying on our bellies and looking under the floor where the babies were we found Mama hiding in the back watching us very intently. We aren't sure if the 7th baby (the little white & black one next to her) is alive or dead. Mama has eaten the moist food we put out for here and we've been "peeking" in on them daily. The babies should start opening their eyes in the next week. More pictures will follow showing their progress.

1 comment:

Amy Johnson said...

Oh my, what a sweet surprise! I love kittens! Your kids are going to have so much fun in the next few weeks playing with them.