Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Memories...

My most memorable Christmas was the year I was about 10 or 11 and we were living in Negley, OH. Life was good...I had a dog, my best friend lived next door, I was within walking distance of the local 5 & dime, school and post office and I had an enormous bedroom. It was the entire upstairs of the picturesque rough red brick house we'd moved into from the "little house." (The little house is a story for another day)

On Christmas morning I was disappointed to only find a couple small gifts under the tree and my stocking filled, I guess that's proof I was spoiled, huh?. I tried to hide my dismay, but I'm sure it was painfully clear on my face. The last gift was a Christmas card my mother handed to me.

My Mom had said she was repainting my bedroom and was not allowed in there due to the paint fumes. I was forced to sleep in the little walk-thru room next to my bedroom. And as if that wasn't bad enough they broke my nightstand lamp while carrying painting supplies past my bed.

Inside my card my Mom told me the rest of my presents were in my bedroom. I ran upstairs, flung open my door and was greeted with the most amazing bedroom EVER!!! Mom had purchased the entire white bedroom suit from Sears (maybe Penney's) complete with canopy bed. I had my own dresser, night stand, desk, vanity and full length mirror. And as if that wasn't enough I had brand new bedding with wallpaper to match!! As I scanned my new bedroom trying to make myself believe that this really was mine, my eyes stopped at my nightstand, there stood my lamp. It hadn't broken...but Mom knew I liked that lamp so she had to make up that little white lie so she could include it in my new room.

I still use that nightstand, and while the lamp has changed, the memories are still as vivid as the light cast from that lamp. THANK YOU MOM, for being the greatest Mom, EVER!!!

3 comments:

Judy said...

What a great memory...I can almost see the bedroom! My daughter had a white bedroom suite from Sears...pale green and pink wallpaper, white sheer curtains, and pink and green bedding...so it may be her bedroom I am actually seeing.

Have a blessed Christmas!

Darlene said...

WOW ... Your memory on the details is far better than mine (imagine that) but I do remember the look on your face when you finally saw your "real" Christmas present!! It was the look I had invisioned & hoped for!! When you are on the "nice" list, you deserve "nice" things!! And you deserved so much more than I was able to give you! BTW, it was from SEARS and I was glad to see that it held up long enough for even YOUR daughter to enjoy for awhile!! LOVE YOU ... Mom

Amy Johnson said...

You know, I had that same bedroom set myself! I think every little girl did back then. What a wonderful mom you have. I can't believe she managed to keep you out of your own room and have the whole thing a secret. That must have been difficult.