Thursday, August 7, 2008

Feathered Friends...




I had a beautiful flock of around 40 chickens of all kinds/colors. I had chickens that laid brown, white and green eggs. (yes, I said green). They lived in a large fenced area we called the "compound", if you've seen Chicken Run that will make sense. Unfortunately, we didn't have a covering over the top and the raccoons little by little had my entire flock for dinner. Yes, very sad.

My kids and I really wanted more chickens so Hubby helped us build a new Poultry Palace and fenced (top and sides) run yard. This project took several months because we could only work on it in the evenings and we wanted to make absolutely certain it was raccoon proof. The Palace is finished (except the paint) and the chickens really like their home. We headed to the local auction and were lucky enough to purchase 7 chickens total, 4 are arachaunas (the ones that lay green eggs). They should be laying soon and I will post pics.

The kids wanted ducks! At the auction a gentleman brought in two ducks after the auction started. I had a bidding war with another lady and came away with two call ducks, much to my kiddos delight. They are very fun to watch and cute to listen to. Hope you enjoy the pics.

1 comment:

Darlene said...

This pictures are awesome!!! First time I've gotten to see the chicks or ducks!!! How cute the ducks are! I'm surprised they mingle together ... guess I didn't think they would!! Great addition to your blog! Now it's just getting other people aware that you are out here so they can enjoy too! (send a link to Mindy and all your other CM girls) I'm sure they'll enjoy the fun on the farm posts! Later ...